Page 2 of 251 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord Of The Rings Online (LOTRO)?

Beans

Re: Lord Of The Rings Online (LOTRO)?

the lotro stress test i participated in was really boring.

if you are looking for good pvp look at Shadowbane. Its now free. Outside of Neocron which was a fpsmmorpg it has had the best pvp I've played and I've played many of em.

Shadowbane is opengl so if you're better at wine then I am (and who isnt?) maybe you could get it to work on a linux box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by zappa420 View Post
    if you are looking for good pvp look at Shadowbane.
    you sure its now free? http://www.shadowbane.com/us/

edit: my bad >> http://chronicle.ubi.com/newspost.php?id=15088
    Last edited by fktt; April 5th, 2007 at 08:36 PM.
    cheers! - Felix
    Is registered Linux user number 450049.
    "In Soviet Russia, you bill gates!" - over and out.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Hi, I'm signed up for the open Beta which has already started. I installed LOTRO and when I try to run it I get this error message "install the Windows version of Mono to run .NET executables"

I'm not sure exactly what it means but I will do some looking around. If anyone else already has dealt with this error please let me know. If I find a solution to make it work I will post it to this thread.

Beans

I got closer with wine, was able to install mono for windows, however the launcher appears to use a windows-only form (System) which Mono I think does not have (I am sketchy on this... not a Mono expert)

As for Cedega, I did not bother trying, Wine will no doubt have better support for C#/Mono/whatever Microtard calls it.

Bit dissappointed that Turbine chose to go with C# actually, makes non-windows users very unhappy campers, although since C# is "meant" to be portable would make ti very easy to "port" the launcher and fronted to a Mono compatible API and then we could run those components natively.

Bear in mind this is the Launcher, not the game! If you could somehow create the init-string you could probably attempt to run lotroclient.exe directly. That would be written in C so we would stand a good chance there.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I installed Mono and ran into the same problems the previous poster had. I setup a dual boot so now I have an XP partition and installed LOTR on there. The game barely works in Windows, that C# form looks like its a prototype, not a game launcher. I'm pretty disappointed, their servers were very laggy all weekend, and the UI needs a lot of work. I would suggest sticking with WoW until LOTR works in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Burkey View Post
    Bear in mind this is the Launcher, not the game! If you could somehow create the init-string you could probably attempt to run lotroclient.exe directly. That would be written in C so we would stand a good chance there.
    Right, you need to pass the correct settings to the lotrocliient.exe like account name, server, maybe ports and somewhat else.
    Europe early access starts tomorrow and I'll then try to find out how a valid argument line looks like.

The problem maybe that there is no argument to pass a password to the client, but instead something called glsticket which maybe somethng that is temporarily created when the Launcher does the handshake with the login server. Found a similar called thing in the "TurbineLauncher.exe.config" and an argument called --authserverurl which defines "Auth server URL for refreshing the GLS ticket." Maybe rather complicated to sort that out...
    Last edited by Sinistral; April 13th, 2007 at 06:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

In regards to the Mono/.Net error, you will need to install Mono in Wine to have any chance of it working at all. Currently, Mono doesn't run very well in Wine if I remember correctly. However, there is good news, there is a GSoC project to integrate Mono with Wine.

Look here for more information. Hopefully by the end of summer Wine will be able to run Mono/.Net applications. (ie. this game.)

Beans

Red face Re: Lord Of The Rings Online (LOTRO)?

seems the error is always relate to mono or window version !
    so anybody solve the problem ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Burkey View Post
    Bit dissappointed that Turbine chose to go with C# actually, makes non-windows users very unhappy campers, although since C# is "meant" to be portable would make ti very easy to "port" the launcher and fronted to a Mono compatible API and then we could run those components natively.

I have been messing around with the lotroclient.exe file in the command line with Windows and have made some progress dissecting the arguments needed to launch just the client. Here is what I have discovered:

If you just run the client from it's location by itself, it should return an error message then it makes a handy little log file for you called "lotroclient.txt" in the same folder. I opened it up and it told me I need to provide it with an account name.

Next I tried the command "lotroclient.exe -a <MyAccountName>" and it gives me another error. This time it tells me I need to provide a host name. So it was recognizing my account name. I figure, what good is the account name without my password, so I try "lotroclient.exe -a <MyAccountName> -p <MyPassword>" and it gives me the same error asking for host name. Great!

Now I just run "lotroclient.exe -a <MyAccountName> -p <MyPassword> -h <Guessing a hostname>" and it launches the client without running the launcher first!!! It does start the authentication process, but it doesn't get too far before the screen blacks out, offering only a "Quit" button to exit, and this time... no error log to help me out.

I feel like I'm 95% there, but I need to figure out the format for the hostname, so any guesses guys??

-Lord Butler

Beans

I took your suggestions and maybe got a little further.

lotroclient.exe -a <MyAccount> -p <MyPassword -h myaccount.turbine.com

Then it faulted and said it couldn't read the data files, maybe I bolloxed them trying to decompile them. Dammit, re-installing and I'll tell you how I go.

Ado

Page 2 of 251 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast